Sebastion Spering Kresge
established this foundation in 1924 on the 25th anniversary of the company he organized in Detroit. The foundation's sole donor, he remained chairman of the board until retiring in 1966, shortly before his death. Grants of over $175 million in its first fifty years have aided established institutions to build facilities for teaching, healing and the arts. In 1984 the foundation moved to this site.