University of Michigan
By legislative act in 1837, Ann Arbor was selected as the site for the University of Michigan. Near this point on the original forty acre campus, classes were held in old Mason Hall in the fall of 1841. The student body numbered seven; the faculty had two members. Dr. Henry Philip Tappan's appointment in 1852 as president of the University marked the beginning of the steady growth that has made it a world-famous institution.