The Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant was built between 1909 and 1920 on the lot bounded by Woodward, Manchester and Oakland Avenues, and three railroad tracks. An office building, a garage and several machine shops once stood on this portion of the site. At this plant, Ford instituted the" five dollar day," a generous wage for the time. In factory "H", located directly east of here, he began mass producing automobiles on moving assembly lines. Detroit architect Albert Kahn designed the complex, which included offices, factories, a power plant and a foundry. In 1927, Ford shifted auto production to the River Rouge Plant
in Dearborn, limiting Highland Park to truck and tractor manufacturing. The Highland Park Plant is a National Historic Landmark.