Capac's Early Railroad Depots
In 1870 the Port Huron and Lake Michigan Railroad Company, later the Grand Truck Railroad, opened a rail line and depot in Capac. Judge Dewitt C. Walker, Capac's founder later recalled that the "shrill noise of the locomotive whistle that first rang out upon the frozen air and re-echoed through the trees that surrounded the village...heralded the advent of prosperity for this place." Such local goods as timber, barrel staves and grain were shipped on the railroad, helping spur the village's growth. The first depot, built north of the tracks, burned down in 1880, and a second, brick depot was built south of the tracks. It was declared "unsafe" and replaced by a third depot north of the tracks in the 1890s.