Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church

Registered Site L2154

Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church

Served for many years by circuit riding ministers, then methodist congregation dates from 1838, making it Charlotte's oldest religious society. People worshipped at the home of Jonathon Searles, in a temporary courtroom in the Eagle Hotel, and in the county Courthouse until the built a chcurch on this site in 1859. Enlarged in 1875 to seat 285 prople, the building soon became too small for the growing congregation and was replaced by the present church in 1903.
photo of Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church

Side 2

The Charlotte Leader praised this church as "magnificent in proportion, exquisite in decoration and practical in construction" upon its dedication on December 20,1903. Jackson architect Clare Allen designed the Indiana limestone church as a grand example of the Romanesque Revival style. The art glass windows and decorative interior painting typify the late Victorian period design. The congregation restored the church in 1996.

Photo courtesy of Ralph Huss.
Erected 2006

Location: 210 E. Lawrence Ave
Charlotte, Eaton County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches

Latitude: 42.563987, Longitude: -84.834424

© 2019 - MichMarkers.com