Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When the structure burned in 1887 it was replaced with the present one, constructed by J.R. Simmons of Union City who used native hard maple and stones gathered from nearby fields. The building was dedicated on August 31, 1888.