Central United Methodist Church

Central United Methodist Church

The first Protestant society in Muskegon began as a mission station served by itinerant preachers. In 1843 the Reverend M. Warring held Muskegon's first service in Martha Ryerson's boardinghouse. Deacon Abner Bennett, a black lay preacher, and his wife, Mary, a former servant of President James K. Polk, formed the White Lake Sunday School. Bennett frequently preached in Muskegon. This church was formally organized on November 20, 1856.
photo of Central United Methodist Church

Side 2

In 1859, Muskegon Methodists built their first church at Clay and Jefferson streets. Congregationalists met in the church, which also served as the county court. In 1887 a larger church was built on the same site. The present Neo-Gothic-style church, built in 1928-1930, was designed by denominational architect, Thoralf M. Sundt of Philadelphia. This Indiana limestone church seats 1,000 persons. The tower rises 100 feet.

Registered Site L1659
Erected 1990

Location: 1011 Second Street
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Methodist Churches

Home

Latitude: 43.2342213, Longitude: -86.2501055

© 2019 - MichMarkers.com