Plymouth Congregational Church
Congregational churches originated with the Puritan and Separatist Churches of New England. Soon after "Michigan" (present day Lansing) was chosen as the site of the state capital in 1847, the Reverend S. S. Brown, a Congregationalist with the Connecticut Home Mission Society came to Lansing and, together with seven members, formed a Congregational Society. Local Congregationalists and Presbyterians cooperated under the national Plan of Union of 1801, which encouraged the two denominations to worship together. In 1864, Lansing Congregationalists established Plymouth Church, named for its New England origins. Plymouth Congregation founded two daughter churches Pilgrim Congregational in 1892 and Mayflower Congregational in 1903.