First United Methodist

Registered Site L1418

First United Methodist

The First United Methodist Church was designed by W. E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect who specialized in church designs. The domed Beaux Arts-style building reflects a trend in using Early Christian architectural forms of the fourth and fifth centuries in early twentieth century churches. This church was completed in 1907 and retains its original semi-circular auditorium plan interior and stained-glass windows. The north window depicts the insignia of the Epworth League, a Methodist youth organization.
photo of First United Methodist

Side 2

In 1854 the Reverend W. J. Aldrich organized the first congregation in Big Rapids; It became the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1867. That year a frame church was built on this site. For many years the building served as a community center and was shared by members of the Presbyterian church. The present structure was dedicated on May 26, 1907. In February 1911 a fire damaged much of the building. The church reopened in time for Easter services on April 16.



Erected 1989

Location: 304 Elm
Big Rapids, Mecosta County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches

Latitude: 43.697022, Longitude: -85.480224

© 2019 - MichMarkers.com