William J. Terney, lumber baron and Civil War veteran, moved to the Roscommon area in 1887 and erected this house in the late 1880s. Shortly afterwards, he began extensive lumbering here and was instrumental in bringing the railroad through the village. Near the turn of the century, Terney was appointed county treasurer. He was elected village president in 1904, and in later years served as an officer for the Michigan State Fair
. Terney engaged in a real estate business until his death in 1926. Local banker William B. Orcutt purchased this large Queen Anne residence from Terney in 1910. Its interior features white oak parquet flooring and ornate paneling, linking it to the once booming lumbering epoch of Roscommon.