Vergennes United Methodist Church
In 1843, a group of twelve emigrants from New England and Western New York State founded the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Vergennes. Originally part of the circuit running from Grand Rapids to Boston, Michigan, the group first met at the log house of Anthony Yerkes. Later it used the Yerkes and Bailey log schools. Surnames of many of the pioneer parishoners - Fairchild, Kerr, McPherson, Odell, Bieri, Anderson still grace the church's rolls in 1986.