Designed by Christian Haefner in the 1860s, this house belonged to George Newton, a state legislator. The cupola, projecting eaves, and symmetrically grouped windows distinguish its architecture. This building is located in the 580 acre densely timbered Fred Russ Experimental Forest, which Michigan State University
used as a forestry school after receiving it as a gift in 1942. The Cass County Historical Commission has restored this elegant structure.