The first Methodist class in this area met in the home of Daniel Thomas in 1833. Three years later services were being held in the log schoolhouse.
In 1841 the first structure for religious services in the village was built by Methodists 150 feet to the north. On this site a brick edifice with a spire and tower was built in 1859. The sanctuary could seat 600 and had a large pipe organ. The present building, entirely new, was completed in 1908.