This three-story wood-frame building is one of Michigan's most splendid examples of Queen Anne architecture. With the juxtaposition of masses created by roof lines, chimneys, tower and porte-cochere it has become a symbol of Muskegon. Fifteen stained-glass windows add to the elegance of the structure, and the interior decoration includes hand stenciled walls and ceilings, carved woodwork and seven tiled fireplaces. The house is a testimony to Hackley's wealth, and to an era when Muskegon was known as "Lumber Queen of the World."
Charles H. Hackley
Charles H. Hackley (1837-1905) came to Muskegon in 1857. Though he had only seven dollars when he arrived, he was worth $12 million at the time of his death. He made his fortune in lumber, and when lumber declined, he administered the Chamber of Commerce program that rebuilt Muskegon into a center of industry. His gifts and endowments to the community totaled over $6 million and supported parks, statuary, schools, local churches, a hospital and a public library