Sandy Beach


Sandy Beach
People began using Sandy Beach as a popular, but informal, swimming spot in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1955 nine Hillsdale residents formed the Baw Beese Memorial Park Associaion to acquire and convert this area into a public beach. Using money from Fundraising drives, the group purchases the land from Edwin and Mae Leypoldt of Cleveland, Ohio. Hillsdale City Recreation Director James Inman organized work groups to clear brush, widen the beach and create picnic areas. Area high school students made up one group. Local volunteer carpenters, electricians, bricklayers, painters and plumbers built the beach house using donated materials. It was later altered to include a concession stand. In 2013 the Hillsdale Rotary Club began a multi-year beach improvement project that included a renovated beach house.
 

Registered Site Y2017D
Erected 2017

Location: 300 Waterworks Dr
Hillsdale, Hillsdale County

Topics:
Parks


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.907427359 W84.61357980
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.