Bluffton Actors' Colony / Buster Keaton


Bluffton Actors' Colony photo of Bluffton Actors
In 1908, Joe Keaton, actor Paul Lucier, and agent Lew Earl founded the Actors' Colony. By 1911 over two hundred theater personalities flocked to Bluffton each summer. They included Keaton, his wife, Myra and his son Joseph Frank, nicknamed "Buster," who were billed as "The Three Keatons." Pascoe's Place, a local tavern, became the unofficial club headquarters. By 1918, film began replacing vaudeville and the Actors' Colony declined.
 
 
Buster Keaton
"That he is an excruciatingly funny little chap will be granted to him by anyone who sees him." raved a 1903 New York Times review of Joseph Frank "Buster" Keaton, child star of the popular vaudeville act "The Three Keatons." Known for his ability to keep a straight face in any situation. Buster Keaton (1895 - 1966) left the family act in 1917 to work in silent film. He is recognized, with Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd, as one of the creative geniuses of silent comedy.

Registered Site S0657
Erected 1997

Location: Water Works Street, South of Lakeshore Dr.
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2153413 W86.3192367
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.