S.S. Badger / Ludington Car Ferries


S.S. Badger photo of S.S. Badger / Ludington Car Ferries
S.S. Badger is one of fourteen ships that served in the Ludington railroad car ferry fleet. Badger and its sister ship S.S. Spartan, were built in 1952 by the Christy Corporation of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C & 0). Named for the athletic teams of the University of Wisconsin and Michigan State University, the boats were a vital commercial link between the two states. The ferries joined the fleet begun in 1897 by the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad. Car ferry traffic peaked in the 1950s, then declined steadily. In 1983 the C & 0 sold off the last of its fleet, including Badger, and Spartan. Badger, newly renovated in 1992, resumed automobile, truck freight and passenger service between Ludington and Manitowac.
 
 
Ludington Car Ferries
Beginning in 1875, the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad shuttled produce, passengers and freight in wooden steamers between Ludington and ports in Wisconsin. In 1892 railroad car ferry service began on the lakes, eliminating the need to unload and load the cars before and after crossing the lake. Five years later, the Pere Marquette, the first steel railroad car ferry on the Great Lakes, sailed from Ludington. The Pere Marquette could carry thirty fully loaded freight cars. By 1930, nine boats made up the Ludington fleet. During the peak season of 1955, the ferries carried 205,000 passengers, 71,000 automobiles, and 141,000 freight cars in nearly 7,000 crossings.

Registered Site S0656
Erected 1997

Location: 700 South Williams St.
Ludington, Mason County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.9479369 W86.4476823
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.