The Salvation Army


The Salvation Army photo of The Salvation Army
Founded by William Booth in London, England, The Salvation Army came to Michigan in 1883. When organizing the Detroit corps in 1887 Captain Fink wrote to her British superiors: "This is the Metropolis of Michigan ... a beautiful city, but oh, the sin and iniquity that abound here." The army initially concentrated its efforts near here, in Cadillac Square, a haven for persons of ill repute. Salvationists found their sidewalk ministry hindered by city officials, who in 1901 enacted an ordinance requiring permits for outdoor speaking, parades and peddling near Cadillac Square, which was near city hall. Undaunted, the army ministered to the needy, holding both indoor and outdoor meetings. It became one of the most active and effective missions in the city. In 1902 Detroit became the headquarters of the Indiana and Michigan division.
 

Registered Site S0646
Erected 1993

Location: Median of Randolph Street at Congress
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.33065 W83.04268
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.