Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties


Michigan Education Association photo of Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties
When completed in 1928, this building marked the Michigan Education Association's seventy-fifth anniversary. The Lansing architectural firm of Warren Holmes-Powers Company designed the Neo-Georgian structure. The symmetry, limestone quoining, projecting entrance and the broken pediment topping the center second-story window typify the style. The Michigan Education Association (MEA) was organized in 1847 in Ann Arbor. By the 1960s operations expanded and a larger facility was needed. In 1964 the organization moved to new offices. The MEA Building has housed many different enterprises. In 1988 it became the headquarters of the Michigan Association of Counties.
 
 
Michigan Association of Counties
On February 1, 1898, township and city officials met in the capitol and founded the Michigan State Association of Supervisors (MSAS). The group served as a liaison between the legislature and county government, and worked for statewide rather than parochial interests. In the 1950s a director was hired and an office opened in a quonset hut at Michigan State University in East Lansing. In 1957 the Institute for Local Government merged with the MSAS. That year offices were relocated to Lenawee Street in Lansing. In December 1969 the group adopted the name Michigan Association of Counties. The association acquired this building in 1988.

Registered Site S0625
Erected 1991

Location: 935 North Washington
Lansing, Ingham County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.743944 W84.552211
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.