Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital


Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital photo of Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital
The northern Michigan Asylum (now the Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital) was organized in 1881. It opened on November 30, 1885, with forty three residents. Dr. J. D. Munson was the facility's superintendent for its first thirty-nine years. The original buildings served five hundred residents. By 1959 the facility had 1.4 million square feet of floor space and housed 2,956 residents. The institution's farms and its processing and manufacturing facilities covered over a thousand acres and made it nearly self-sufficient. Between 1885 and 1985 it served over fifty thousand residents. After 1960, with advances in treatment and community services, the need for in-patient facilities declined. In 1985 one hundred and fifty beds served the area's acute and intensive psychiatric needs.
 

Registered Site S0573
Erected 1985

Location: Division and Eleventh
Traverse City, Grand Traverse County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.7551449 W85.6359815
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.