Landing of Cadillac


Landing of Cadillac photo of Landing of Cadillac
After departing Montreal June 5, 1701 Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his convoy of seventy-five canoes sailed down this river and on the evening of July 23 camped sixteen miles below the present city of Detroit on what is now Grosse Ile. On the morning of July 24, Cadillac returned upriver and reached a spot on the shore near the present intersection of West Jefferson and Shelby. Pleased with the strategic features, the bank towering some thirty feet above the level of the river, Cadillac landed and planted the flag of France, taking posession of the territory in the name of King Louis XIV. The erection of a fortress was immediately begun. The stockade, formed of fifteen-foot oak pickets set three feet into the ground, occupied an area of about an acre. The fortress was named Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit (the strait) in honor of Count Jerome de Pontchartrain, Minister of Marine. From this fort and settlement, Detroit, the Renaissance City, takes its origin.
 
 
a photo of Landing of Cadillac Le débarquement de Cadillac
Après avoir quitté Montréal le 5 juin 1701 Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac descendit ce fleuve avec un convoi de vingt-cinq canoës. Le soir du 23 Jullet, le détachement établit son camp à l'endroit qui s'appelle maintenant Grosse Ile, soit seize miles an aval de le position actuelle de la ville de Détroit. Le 24 jullet au matin, Cadillac revint amont et atteignit le point de la rive qu'on puet situer aujourd'hui près du croisement des rues West Jefferson et Shelby. Séduit par la valeur stratégique du lieu qui dominait de quarante pieds le niveau de la rivière, Cadillac débarqua et planta le drapeau français prenant ainsi possession du territoire au nom du Roi Louis XIV. La construction d'une fortresse commença immédiatement. Avec ses pieux de chêne qui faisaient quinze pieds de long et qui étaient enfoncés de trois pieds dans le sol, la palissade délimitait une superficie d'un arpent, soit environ une acre. On baptista cet enclos Fort Pontchartrain du Dètroit, en l'honeur du Comte Jérôme de Pontchartrain, ministre de la Marine. C'est de ce fort et de ce campement qu'est née la ville de Détroit, la Cité de la "Renaissance."

Marker relocated from river wall into Hart Plaza as part of the River Walk reconfiguration for the Detroit 300 celebration in 2003. Statue of Cadillac added.

Registered Site S0515
Erected 1979

Location: Hart Plaza
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Bilingual
Events


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3271788 W83.0436775
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.