Officer's Club


Officer's Club photo of Officer
The Camp Grayling Officer's Club and the land on which it is constructed were given to the state of Michigan by Rasmus Hanson, a successful Grayling businessman who made his fortune in the white pine forests. In 1913 he also donated 13,760 acres of land for the training of the militia which became known as the Hanson Grant. The Officer's Club, built in 1917, has since served as the focal point for the social and formal functions of the Michigan National Guard Officer Corps. Reminiscent of the architecture that is typical of southern military structures, the colonnaded veranda and symmetrically spaced dormers set into the low hipped roof are common to militia camps and army posts erected at the turn of the century.
 

Registered Site S0508
Erected 1980

Location: Bldg 311 Howe Road
Grayling, Crawford County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.6230369 W84.7912144
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.