Antislavery Society


Antislavery Society photo of Antislavery Society
The founding meeting of the Michigan Antislavery Society was held in the First Presbyterian Church located on this site, on November 10, 1836. Delegates from six counties elected officers and adopted fourteen resolutions denouncing slavery. This convention led to the establishment in Jackson in 1839 of the American Freeman, the state's first antislavery newspaper and its successor, Ann Arbor's Signal of Liberty in 1841.
 

Registered Site S0488
Erected 1976

Location: 340 East Huron Street
Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Black History
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.281354 W83.7451040
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.