Wardwell House


Wardwell House photo of Wardwell House
William Buck, an English immigrant farmer, built the main part of this house around 1849. It has fourteen inch thick walls and is the oldest brick house in Grosse Pointe. The rear clapboard addition, built elsewhere dates from the 1880s. Henry Russel an attorney and businessman, bought the house in 1901. In 1912 it became the home of his daughter, Helen Wardwell, and her husband, Harold. She lived here for sixty-five years. In 1977 the property was acquired by the Grosse Pointe Memorial Church as a bequest of Helen Wardwell.
 

Registered Site S0487
Erected 1981

Location: 16109 East Jefferson
Grosse Pte Park, Wayne County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.379253 W82.923931
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.