Adrian Union Hall


Adrian Union Hall photo of Adrian Union Hall
In 1863 Charles M. Croswell (Michigan governor 1877-81) formed an association to construct a new theatre. An 1866 birds-eye view of Adrian shows the completed exterior. Originally designated the Adrian Union Hall, by 1887 it was called the Croswell Opera House. The theatre hosted such performers as Maude Adams, Edwin Booth, Mrs. Patrick Campbell, Charles Frohman, Victor Herbert and the Gilmore Band, Joe Jefferson, Thomas W. Kean, James Whitcomb Riley, Otis Skinner and John Philip Sousa. In 1921 the interior of the building was renovated to show motion pictures. In 1967 the building was rescued by the Adrian Foundation from threatened demolition. Its care was then entrusted to the new Croswell Opera House and Fine Arts Association.
 

Registered Site S0478
Erected 1986

Location: 129 East Maumee Street
Adrian, Lenawee County

Topics:
Governors
Theaters, Halls, and Arenas


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.898638 W84.035794
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.