(Continued from the other side)
The Peninsular Sugar Refining Company owes its success in part to the willingness of area farmers to grow sugar beets. A German firm built the factory in 1899 on land donated by the community. A newspaper, the Tuscola County Advertiser, publicized the venture and Charles Montague, a local businessman, raised capital for it. Farmers hauled tons of beets to the Caro factory in horse-drawn wooden-wheeled wagons and sleighs. In October of 1899, the company embarked on its first season of beet sugar production. In 1906 Peninsular Sugar merged with several other companies to form the Michigan Sugar Company. With Charlie Sieland as superintendent, the Caro factory became known as a training ground for sugar craftsmen. Today Caro's modern automated equipment is housed in the original factory.