Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse


Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse photo of Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
This lighthouse is opposite the turning point for ships making the difficult passage through the Straits of Mackinac, one of the busiest crossroads of the Great Lakes. McGulpin's Point light, two miles to the west, had been established in 1856, but it was not visible from all directions. In 1889 Congress appropriated funds for the construction of a steam-powered fog signal here, which went into operation on November 5, 1890. Construction of the light tower and attached lightkeepers dwelling began, and the light was first displayed on October 25, 1892. Heavy iron and brass castings were used throughout the structure, and the light was visible to ships sixteen miles away. In operation until 1958, the lighthouse is now a maritime museum.
 

Registered Site S0377
Erected 1972

Location: Michilimackinac State Park, East of bridge
Mackinaw City, Cheboygan County

Topics:
Lighthouses
Museums


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.7874533 W84.7294002
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.