Andrew J. Blackbird House


Andrew J. Blackbird House photo of Andrew J. Blackbird House
Andrew J. Blackbird (c.1815 - 1908), an important figure in the history of the Odawa (Ottawa) tribe, was the son of a chief. Educated in the traditions of the Odawam he also attended Euro-American schools including present-day Eastern Michigan University. Blackbird bought this building around 1858, when the town was inhabited mostly by Odawa people. From here he ran the post office and wrote a history of the Odawa. As a councilor for the Odawa he participated in the negotiations for the Treaty of 1855, which established a large home reservation for the Odawa in this area. Blackbird also helped Odawa veterans get pensions, and assisted with land claims. This site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Makage Binisii Wegamik
Kida maandaa ka kiiga etaabendaawaa. Ezhinikaadeg wagaa nakaazi maanpii odawaak gii bizhigewak odwbwaa miinwaa gii zhin kaa daamgut wiikwaatoonsing. Miinwaa maanpii kade kii bindaatsit makade binisii giimaa. Makage bibissii kii maadsaa oowak kinamaagoo. Kiipshkaa bii noo biiga shebiiga minwaa gii shebiiaan. Nagwaa odaawak mazinigan. Maandaa wiigwaam gii zhiga maandaa pii abita 1800's minwaa gii kaadaat. Aanjitoon maajiibiigan wiigwaam. Gii naagadawanda maajiibiigum wiigwaam.

Registered Site S0352
Erected 2000

Location: 368 East Main St.
Harbor Springs, Emmet County

Topics:
Bilingual
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.430564 W84.984813
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.