Fort Gratiot Light


Fort Gratiot Light photo of Fort Gratiot Light
This lighthouse, oldest in Michigan, was built in 1829 to replace a tower destroyed by a storm. Lucius Lyon, the builder, was Deputy Surveyor General of the Northwest Territory and later a United States senator from Michigan. In the 1860s workers extended the tower to its present height of 84 feet. The light, automated in 1933, continues to guide shipping on Lake Huron into the narrow and swift-flowing St. Clair River.
 

Registered Site S0332
Erected 1971

Location: 2750 Omar Street
Port Huron, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Lighthouses


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.005719 W82.423601
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.