Mission House


Mission House photo of Mission House
In 1823 the Reverend William Ferry founded a Mission on Mackinac Island on the land know known as Mission Point. Two years later he and his wife, Amanda, erected this building as a boarding school for Indian children. In 1827, 112 students attended the school. The majority of the resident pupils were metis, children of Indian and Euro-American parents. The mission closed in 1837. In 1849 Edward Franks opened the Mission House Hotel after adding a third story to the structure. The Franks family operated the hotel until 1939 when it was sold and converted into a rooming house. In 1946 Miles and Margaret Phillimore bought the property, which provided a base for the Moral Re-Armament movement. Around 1971 the Cathedral of Tomorrow purchased the site. Six years later the Mission House became part of the Mackinac Island State Park.
 

Registered Site S0313
Erected 1993

Location: East end of Huron St.
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics
Hotels and Inns
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8505349 W84.6075582
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.