Woodstock Manual Labor Institute


Woodstock Manual Labor Institute photo of Woodstock Manual Labor Institute
Prior Foster an Ohio Negro, began this school "in the woods" in 1844 and four years later it was incorporated. Designed to serve "colored people and others," the Institute taught a full range of subjects and was one of the nations first integrated schools. The students worked in the fields and orchards to help support the school. Soon eight buildings were on the grounds. More than fifty students were in attendance, using a library of two thousand volumes. A fire in 1855 destroyed the main building, and the school was discontinued during the Civil War. The educational pioneering was continued by Foster's grandson, Dr. Laurence Jones, founder of the well-known Piney Woods School in Mississippi, in 1909
 

Registered Site S0297
Erected 1971

Location: 18123 Greenleaf Road
Addison, Lenawee County

Topics:
Black History
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.00407 W84.342356
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.