Johnson's Tavern


Johnson's Tavern photo of Johnson
In 1824 George M. Johnson purchase eighty acres of land from the government and erected a log tavern at this location, a days journey from Detroit. Stephen G. Simmons bought the tavern from Johnson in 1825 and operated it until he was hanged for the murder of his wife in 1830. In 1832 the tavern, located on the new Detroit-Chicago military road was purchased by Ezra Derby. He later subdivided some of his land and sold lots. A hamlet known as Derby's developed around the tavern, and in 1836 the name of the settlement was changed to Wayne, apparently to honor General Anthony Wayne. On April 12, 1869, forty-five years after George Johnson settled here, the village was incorporated.
 

Registered Site S0296
Erected 1969

Location: 35118 West Michigan Avenue
Wayne, Wayne County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2824525 W83.3843421
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.