Chicago Road


Chicago Road photo of Chicago Road
The Great Sauk Trail, the most important Indian trail in the Great Lakes region was used later by French explorers, fur traders, missionaries, and soldiers. After the 1760's the trail became a major road for British and American travelers. In the early 1800's when a military road was needed to connect Detroit with Fort Dearborn (Chicago), Territorial Governor Lewis Cass and Father Gabriel Richard, an influential legislator, were leading supporters of the Great Sauk Trail route. With federal backing the road was surveyed in 1825 and built in 1829-36. Many sections of the road were paved with huge oak logs, covered with a layer of dirt. Even before the road was improved, land-hungry settlers moved west from Detroit via the Chicago Road (now called Michigan Avenue).
 

Registered Site S0280
Erected 1966

Location: Michigan Aveneue at Washington
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.331541 W83.050662
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.