Holy Childhood of Jesus School


Holy Childhood of Jesus School photo of Holy Childhood of Jesus School
This Indian school was founded in 1829 by Father Pierre Dejean, who came here with two teachers, Miss Elizabeth Williams and Joseph L'Etorneau. The Indians built a church and the first school building, a hewn-log structure 46' by 20'. The school was both a boarding and day school, with 25 boarders in its initial enrollment of 63 Indian boys and girls, who were taught, in French, the three "R's" and vocational skills. Father Dejean was followed in 1831 by Father Frederic Baraga, the future "Apostle of the Ottawas and Chippewas." Under the Franciscan Fathers, who arrived in 1884, and the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who came in 1886, the school continues to serve the state and community caring for Indian children.
 

Registered Site S0259
Erected 1974

Location: West Main and State St.
Harbor Springs, Emmet County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.4298107 W84.9894833
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.