The Roadside Table


The Roadside Table photo of The Roadside Table
Here on old U.S. 16 in Boston Township, Ionia County, the first picnic table along a highway right-of-way was placed in 1929 through the initiative of Allan Williams, county engineer. The table was built of salvage planks formerly used as guardrails. The idea immediately caught on and was adopted by the State Highway Department. The Ionia County Road Commission made the state's tables until the work became too great. The roadside table became an emblem of Michigan's hospitality, one which has been widely emulated by states the nation over.
 

Registered Site S0253
Erected 1964

Location: Grand River east of Morrison Lake Rd.
Saranac, Ionia County

Topics:
Events


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.886215814 W85.21777153
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.