Oldest Jewish Cemetery


Oldest Jewish Cemetery photo of Oldest Jewish Cemetery
Beth El, the first Jewish congregation in Michigan, was organized in Detroit on September 22, 1850, by 12 families. This half-acre cemetery, dedicated on January 1, 1851, was known then as "The Champlain Street Cemetery of Temple Beth El" because Lafayette was formerly called Champlain Street. The first interment was in fall of 1851, and in 1854 Samuel Marcus, the first rabbi of Beth El, was buried here. The cemetery, containing many graves of Jewish war veterans, was in active use until the 1950's.
 

Registered Site S0241
Erected 1973

Location: 3371 East Layfayette accessable from inside Elmwood Cemetery
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3465318 W83.0154472
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.