Ypsilanti


Ypsilanti photo of Ypsilanti
Located at the juncture of old Indian trails and the Huron River, this area was the camping and burying ground for several Indian tribes. In 1809 Gabriel Godfroy established an Indian trading post on the west bank of the Huron which he maintained for about ten years. Benjamin Woodruff and companions came up the river by boat in 1823 and settled one mile west of here at Woodruff's Grove. In 1825 a town was platted by Judge Augustus B. Woodward of Detroit and two local men, William Harwood and John Stewart. Situated on both sides of the Huron where the famous Chicago Road (now U.S. 12) crossed the river, the town was named Ypsilanti in honor of the Greek war hero, Demetrius Ypsilanti. The home of Eastern Michigan University, the oldest state teachers college west of Albany, Ypsilanti is also the site of one of the state's very first publicly-supported secondary schools. In World War II the Willow Run plant was erected to build B-24 bombers which were vitally important to the war effort. True to its heritage, Ypsilanti has grown in the mainstream of commerce, industry and education.
 

Registered Site S0237
Erected 1963

Location: 220 North Huron
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Markers with Pictures


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.243908 W83.612864
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.