Lawrence Institute of Technology


Lawrence Institute of Technology photo of Lawrence Institute of Technology
Lawrence Tech was chartered in 1932 by the Lawrence brothers, Russell E. and E. George. The college was located in Highland Park on Woodward Avenue until 1955, when the first building opened on this campus. Lawrence Tech, founded as an undergraduate college of engineering, later added programs in architecture, management, arts and science and various technical fields. The college pioneered in scheduling evening programs for working students and in 1935 developed the four-quarter academic calendar, "Theory and Practice" has been the motto of the college since its founding. Application of classroom theories to real situations involving the community of Michigan industries has been its goal. Lawrence Institute of Technology is a nonprofit independent college.
 
 
Original Marker (Replaced in 1986)
Lawrence Tech was chartered in 1932 by the Lawrence brothers, Russell E. and E. George. The institution was located in Highland Park on Woodward Avenue until 1955 when it moved to this campus. Lawrence Tech began with the College of Engineering, later adding the College of Industrial Management, College of Architecture and Technical Institite, The institution pioneered in 1935 in developing the four-quarter plan. It is a non-profit, self-owned institution.

Registered Site S0223
Erected 1963

Location: 21000 West Ten Mile
Southfield, Oakland County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.474930 W83.248362
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.