Fallasburg Covered Bridge


Fallasburg Covered Bridge photo of Fallasburg Covered Bridge
John W. and Silas S. Fallas settled here in 1837, founded a village which soon boasted a chair factory, sawmill, and gristmill. About 1840 the first of several wooden bridges was placed across the Flat River, but all succumbed in a short time to high water and massive spring ice jams. Bridge builder Jared N. Bresee of Ada was given a contract in 1871 to build the present structure. Constructed at a cost of $1500, the bridge has lattice work trusses made of white pine timbers. As in all covered bridges, the roof and siding serve to protect the bridge timbers from rot. Repairs in 1905 and 1945 have kept the bridge safe for traffic for one hundred years.
 

Registered Site S0197
Erected 1971

Location: Covered Bridge Road
Vergennes Township, Kent County

Topics
Bridges


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.9802883 W85.3275060
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.