Singapore, Michigan


Singapore, Michigan photo of Singapore, Michigan
Beneath the sands near the mouth of the Kalamazoo River lies the site of Singapore, one of Michigan's most famous ghost towns. Founded in the 1830's by New York land speculators, who hoped it would rival Chicago or Milwaukee as a lake port, Singapore was in fact, until the 1870's, a busy lumbering town. With three mills, two hotels, several general stores, and a renowned "Wild-cat" bank, it outshone its neighbor to the south, "The Flats," as Saugatauk was then called. When the supply of timber was exhausted the mills closed, the once bustling waterfront grew quiet. The people left, most of them settling here in Saugatauk. Gradually, Lake Michigan's shifting sand buried Singapore.
 

Registered Site S0191
Erected 1958

Location: Saugatuck City Hall
Saugatuck, Allegan County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6560556 W86.2031722
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.