Olivet College

Olivet College Olivet College
On Feb 14, 1844, the Rev. John J. "Father" Shipherd and 39 followers arrived by ox-cart on this wilderness hilltop, driving their herds before them. They felt that God had directed them to this oak grove for the purpose of founding a coeducational Christian college open to students of all races. First chartered as Olivet Institute, the school received its charter as a college in 1859. For over a century it has given a broad liberal arts education, with strong support from the Congregational Church. Many alumni have gone forth "Pro Christo et Humanitate."
 

Registered Site S0186
Erected 1960

Location: College Ave. and Main St.
Olivet, Eaton County


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4426591 W84.9240803
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2012 James Brennan. All rights reserved.