Northern Michigan University


Northern Michigan University photo of Northern Michigan University
Established by the Legislature in 1899 as a normal school to provide teachers for the Upper Peninsula, Northern opened with thirty-two students, and six faculty members, and Dwight B. Waldo as principal. A four-year collegiate program was introduced in 1918 and the first bachelor of arts degree was conferred two years later. In the 1950's Northern became a multipurpose institution placing emphasis on instruction, service, and research. In 1960 it established its own graduate program leading to the master of arts degree. Serving an ever increasing student body, Northern in 1963 achieved university status through an act of the Legislature.
 

Registered Site S0115
Erected 1966

Location: University Center NMU Campus
Marquette, Marquette County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.5569716 W87.4013900
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.