Kalamazoo College


Kalamazoo College photo of Kalamazoo College
The first classroom for the Michigan and Huron Institute, now Kalamazoo College, was erected on this site between June and September 1836. The charter bill for the school had been introduced into the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council on January 18, 1833 and signed into law by Governor George B. Porter on April 22, 1833. Village pledges supplied funds for the two-story frame classroom structure, which was the start of Michigan's first church-related college.
 

Registered Site S0101a
Erected 1983

Location: Westnedge and Walnut
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2861037 W85.5896973
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.