Eastern Michigan College


Eastern Michigan College photo of Eastern Michigan College
Founded by legislative action in 1849 as the Michigan State Normal School, it was the first state teacher education school west of Albany. Its aim was to provide instruction "in the art of teaching and in all the various branches that pertain to a good common school education." On this site the first building, old Pierce Hall, opened for classes in 1852. Built by the joint action of local citizens and the state, it stood here until 1948.
 

Registered Site S0094
Erected 1957

Location: College Place and Cross Avenue
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2463738 W83.6223506
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.