Michigan Technological University


Michigan Technological University photo of Michigan Technological University
In 1885 the state established a mining school here in America's first great metal mining region. As the Michigan College of Mines, it achieved world-wide renown as a center of education and research in mining, metallurgy, and geology. In 1927 and again in 1964 its name was changed and its scope was broadened to meet industry's expanding needs. Under its present name, Michigan Technological University, it enrolls men and women in undergraduate and graduate programs in its original subjects and other branches of engineering, science, business, forestry, and liberal arts.
 
 
Original Marker
In 1885 the Michigan Mining School was established here by the state. Classes were held in temporary quarters until 1889 when Hubbel Hall was erected. Situated ideally in the midst of the Upper Peninsula's booming mining industry, the school soon ranked as one of the world's best mining colleges. Renamed Michigan College of Mining and Technology in 1927, it now offers work in all major fields of engineering and science.

Registered Site S0093
Erected 1957

Location: Campus Near Library
Houghton, Houghton County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N47.1190007 W88.5471868
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.