Fort Brady


Fort Brady photo of Fort Brady
On July 6, 1822, a battalion of American troops under Col. Hugh Brady reached the Sault, thereby reconfirming the assertion of American authority over this region made by Lewis Cass in 1820. Fort Brady was built here by year's end. The French and Indians living at the little village now recognized that this remote outpost was truly part of America. The fort was removed in 1893 to a new site chosen by General Phil Sheridan.
 

Registered Site S0088
Erected 1957

Location: Water Street
Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County

Topics:
Forts


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.5002681 W84.3414616
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.