Fort St. Joseph


Fort St. Joseph photo of Fort St. Joseph
Built near here in 1686 by the French explorer Duluth, this fort was the second white settlement in lower Michigan. This post guarded the upper end of the vital waterway joining Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Designed to bar English traders from the upper lakes, the fort in 1687 was the mobilization center for a war party of French and Indians. In 1688 it was abandoned, but the site became part of Fort Gratiot in 1814.
 

Marker relocated 9-22-2016. Photo courtesy of the City of Port Huron.

Registered Site S0080
Erected 1957

Location: 540 Elmwood St
Port Huron, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Early Settlers
Forts


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.000331686 W82.42519497
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.