Fort Holmes


Fort Holmes photo of Fort Holmes
Here in 1812 on the island's highest point, a blockhouse and stockade were built by the British and named Fort George. It was the bulwark of British defenses in 1814 when the American attack was repulsed. After the war the Americans renamed the post in honor of Maj. Holmes who was killed during the American assault in 1814. The fort was not maintained by the Americans however. The present blockhouse is not the original building.
 

See Also



Registered Site S0078
Erected 1959

Location: Fort Holmes Rd
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Forts


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8580074 W84.6165490
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.