Market Street


Market Street photo of Market Street
During the peak of the fur trade this street bustled with activity. Each July and August Indians, traders and trappers by the thousands came here with furs from throughout the Northwest. In 1817, John Jacob Astor's American Fur Co. located its headquarters here. Furs valued at $3,000,000 went through the Market Street offices in 1822. After 1834 the trade moved westward.
 

Registered Site S0040
Erected 1956

Location: Market Street
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8496008 W84.6184748
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.