University of Michigan


University of Michigan photo of University of Michigan
By legislative act in 1837, Ann Arbor was selected as the site for the University of Michigan. Near this point on the original forty acre campus, classes were held in old Mason Hall in the fall of 1841. The student body numbered seven; the faculty had two members. Dr. Henry Philip Tappan's appointment in 1852 as president of the University marked the beginning of the steady growth that has made it a world-famous institution.
 

Registered Site S0037
Erected 1957

Location: Near Graduate Library
Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2768205 W83.7378895
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.